PETITUDO’s co-founder, Sharon Low, started out feeding her furkid, Sophie, with commercial dog food that are oven-baked but later decided to switch to preparing meals with fresh ingredients. Find out why.
Why did you choose to prepare fresh food for your furkid?
Our furkids are like our family members so we want them to eat the same good quality food as what we eat. Fresh food would definitely be better than preserved or baked food. Given a choice, I think most people will eat a freshly cooked egg rather than an egg biscuit.
One benefit of preparing fresh meals is that we can select the ingredients that are suitable for our pet – and avoid those items we know they are allergic to.
Did you start with fresh food for Sophie?
I started with commercial dog food that is oven baked. After a lot of reading up, I learnt that commercial pet food usually over-cook the ingredients, so the nutrients of the fresh ingredients are lost in the process.
So I started to prepare Sophie’s meals using fresh ingredients that we cook for ourselves like fresh carrot, broccoli and beef.
Did you change to a fresh food diet due to certain reasons?
When Sophie started to have a skin problem due to allergies, we identified the causes to be carrot and poultry. We looked around for commercial dog food that does not contain them and it was difficult to find those that doesn’t include carrots. After more studying and reading up, I realised that cooking Sophie’s meals is the best way to help keep her allergies under control. We only select ingredients that she can eat and her skin problem cleared up tremendously.
Based on your experience, give us 5 tips for busy paw-rents on preparing healthy fresh meals.
1. Avoid ingredients that your pet is allergic to.
2. Go for ingredients that your furkid love.
3. Choose ingredients that are easily available. This will reduce the time spent on grocery shopping as you can easily get them delivered or at a nearby store.
4. Pre-cook the food and pack in separate containers for freezing. Thaw the portions accordingly for daily meals. This way, instead of having to cook daily, you will only need to do it twice a week.
5. It would not be easy to get all the ingredients that will provide the necessary nutrients and minerals that your furkids require. Consider adding supplements like egg shell powder for calcium, iron pill and probiotic powder into the meals.
Any useful advice for paw-rents when it comes to preparing fresh meals for their furkids?
Each furkid has individual needs so paw-rents should plan their diet based on their pet’s age, allergies, body weight and other requirements. An older furkid’s diet will also be different from that of a younger one – consider supplements that will fit the furkid’s age and needs to complement the fresh meals.